Friday, June 25, 2010

IT training

I've have the privilege to take part in Group Personal Training this summer. The session will be 12 weeks long and week 1 was a doozie.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the body gets comfortable with your routine and you don't reap the benefits of all of your hard work.

This is definitely the case with me. We've been running and running and I've felt that my fitness level has been going down instead of up. That was proven during the first week of our group class.

We are using the IT method but at a much higher intensity. None of the moves are complicated.
Here is a run down of our session:
- 1/2 mile warm up run, grab weights and head out to the water front.
- Form 2 lines and 2 at a time run the length of the dock holding your weight with both hand chest high.

Now as I'm running holding my weight I'm think. HUUUUMMM I just lost this same amount of weight so running would be easier.....something is not right.

-Sprint back, oh that is funny.

-Run the length of dock still holding the weight but then squat down and walk backwards, back to the start.

-Walking lunges holding the weight straight above your head.

-Squats with a jump and shuffle to the side, still holding that weight. In fact when you jump you lift the weight above your head.

-Go to a small incline. Keep your weights you don't want to miss out of this bit of fun. Again form 2 lines, then 2 at a time race to the top of hill then run easy down hill.

-Grab some water and then do 20 burpies???? OK we called them squat thrusts in school. Oh why did I drink that water.

You get the idea.

I alternated between feeling sorry for my team mates being stuck with me ( min of 20 years older and much heavier) and thinking they should be grateful to have the extra time to recover between activities.

It was tough but it was also fun. The activities are varied and playful.

But remember when I said don't be to hard on yourself? And to look at the big picture? There is a silver lining.

This week we did fit testing. 1/2 mile timed run followed by as many push ups as you can in a minute and the same for sit ups, burpies, lunges, squats and then planks to exhaustion. I was quite happy to find that with the exception of burpies my numbers were very close to my team mates. My weight is down and I can tell a difference in how my clothes fit.

So don't be afraid to push yourself but make it fun. If you can't do it then find someone that can push you. It's well worth it. I can't wait to see the improvement at the end of the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment